It is impractical to list every possibility of dress and grooming. The principal of each campus shall apply the Grooming Code and make all final decisions regarding what is acceptable and appropriate considering the age and activities of the students. Guidelines and administrative decisions regarding appropriate dress will reflect concern for health and safety of students and the influence of specific dress or grooming on the overall educational climate of the school. The guidelines will be reviewed periodically to ensure that they continue to reflect community expectations while permitting individual choices and recognizing acceptable current fashions.
- No inappropriate dress should be worn at any time
- A parent may be required to bring a change of clothing for any child wearing an item of clothing that the principal finds to be inappropriate or that interferes with the learning environment
- No hats, caps, shower caps, headbands, sweatbands, etc. shall be worn inside the school building.
- Pants must be worn in a proper manner on the waist.
- Shirts must remain tucked in at all times.
- Bandanas are not allowed on school property at any time.
- Tattoos must be appropriate and gang symbols are not allowed.
- Hair must be neatly groomed. No excessive colors or nonconforming hairstyles for boys or girls (only natural hair colors are acceptable).
- Facial hair must be neat and groomed for boys.
- Excessive dress code violations will be treated as defiant and disrespectful behavior and may result in a disciplinary referral.
Administrative review will be the final decision on all of the above items.
Life School is a school of choice that requires students to wear uniforms. Student uniforms make a statement that students belong to a unique school environment with a strong commitment to educational excellence. The uniqueness of the student does not rest in the apparel they wear, but in the inner qualities and gifts of the student. If you are unable to provide the required uniform(s) for your student, you may contact campus administration for possible assistance.
Uniforms must have the Life School crest.
- Grades K-12- White oxford shirt (button-down collar)
- Grades K-6- Red or navy polo shirt, (long or short sleeved)
- Grades 7-12- Hunter green or navy polo shirt, (long or short sleeved)
- Grades K-12 - Navy cardigan, “V” neck sweater or sweatshirt (uniform shirts must be worn underneath)
- Only school uniform jackets are allowed to be worn in the building. Non-school jackets may be worn at the discretion of administration
- Grades K-12 – may be worn Monday – Friday (uniform shirts must be worn underneath)
- Grades K-6 - Navy pants or walking shorts (no more than 2 inches above the knee)
- Grades 7-12 - Khaki pants or walking shorts (no more than 2 inches above the knee)
- The following examples are unacceptable: cargo pants, cargo shorts, jogger pants and denim wear.
- All pants or shorts must be worn with a belt
Skirts/Jumpers/Modesty Skirts* (no more than 2 inches above the knee)
- Grades K-3 - Plaid jumper (no skirts)
- Grades K-3 - Navy modesty skirts
- Grades 4-6 - Plaid or navy modesty skirt
- Grades 7-12 - Khaki skirt
Girls should wear navy modesty shorts under jumpers and skirts
Accessories (Grades K-12)
- Required for 5th-12th grades only and must be worn at the natural waist.
- Must be solid colors.
- Girls may wear 1 earring per ear.
- Earrings may be either stud-style or hoop (smaller than a quarter).
- Hoop (larger than a quarter) or dangling earrings are not allowed.
- Boys are not permitted to wear earrings.
- Piercings anywhere else on the body except girls’ ears are not allowed Necklaces and bracelets must be thin and conservative and must coordinate with the uniform.
- Flashy, large jewelry will not be permitted.
- Multiple necklaces or bracelets will not be allowed.
Shoes (Grades K-12)
Appropriate shoes, with non-marking soles, must be worn at all times (can be athletic, loafer style, or dress shoes). The following examples are unacceptable: house shoes, sandals, flip- flops, wheeled shoes, light up shoes, open-toed shoes, or shoes with more than 1" heels. Shoes must have both closed toe and closed heel.
OPTIONAL FRIDAY UNIFORM (GRADES K-12)
Life School t-shirts and sweatshirts may be worn with uniform pants, shorts or skirts. Life School sponsored t-shirts, senior shirts, sweatshirts, spirit wear, college shirts or college jackets may be worn at the discretion of administration.
In order to minimize loss and simplify identification, all clothing should be labeled.
Uniform infractions will be handled according to campus procedures.
FREE DRESS/JEAN DAY GUIDELINES
- All free dress or jean day dress must meet the requirements of the district dress code.
- Pants must be worn at the natural waist
- Shorts must be the same length as uniform shorts
- Clothing must not be worn too tightly
- No midriffs or short skirt
- No shirts with inappropriate logos or words
- No tank tops or spaghetti straps
- No flip-flop sandals
- No puffy jackets/vest
- Rules from handbook regarding jewelry apply
- Students should wear only blue denim jeans, shorts or skirts. There should not be any printed logos or emblems on jeans
- Torn jeans or jeans with holes are not acceptable.
- Additional guidelines at discretion of campus administration.